Forget cliché chocolates and tawdry underthings ladies, here are 40 seriously smart Valentine’s Day ideas for everyone you love, straight from our favorite wealth of information, Pinterest.
Read on and let us know which ideas are your favorite, and which ones you’re planning to use on February 14!
1. Use hip wrapping.
Even if there’s nothing terribly exciting inside, things look better when they’re wrapped in cool paper. The handmade factor is a bonus of course, but it’s also a pleasant departure from the drugstore’s explosion-of-red-hearts wrapping paper.
3. Freeze flowers in ice cubes for a gorgeous twist on cocktails.
4. Having a party? Fill clear balloons with glitter or confetti.
5. Need a perfect gift for a child (or your class, if you’re a teacher)? Try these adorable rulers.
6. Live in area that’s affected by the Polar Vortex? Write a nice message in the snow like this, then take an Instagram photo and tag your valentine.
7. Make pretzels dipped in pink, red, and purple sugar. Yum!
8. Create an origami heart with a meaningful quote.
9. Make toast with a heart-shaped egg for breakfast (extra points for serving it in bed, of course.)
10. Shake a little Himalayan pink salt on popcorn while watching TV or a movie (it’ll give your health a boost, too!)
11. Buy a cool blackboard mug and write a cute note on it in the morning.
12. Wear hearts in a totally stylish, non- cheesy way.
13. Make a giant Oreo skillet cookie together—it’s only two ingredients.
14. Host a chic brunch for your friends on Valentine’s Day, or the weekend leading up to it.
15. Rent old Hollywood films to see how romance was really done back in the day.
16. Is your guy a sports fan? Why not write why he’s a catch on a baseball or a football? Just a warning: Upon opening it, he may think you scored an autographed ball from a sports legend, so don’t be miffed if he’s all like “Um, this is cool, too.”
17. Learn how to write a love letter.
18. Create small valentines using melted crayons.
19. Make heart-shaped holes in fruit. Why? ‘Cause it’s kind of cute.
20. DIY a fake tattoo with your valentine’s name on it (or one that says “love sucks” if that’s where your head is.)
21. Make a wreath out of balloons that haven’t been blown up yet.
22. Use some cheesy fruit-based puns, and write them on actual fruit.
23. Write a bunch of activities to do together on popsicle sticks and when you’re feeling spontaneous, randomly pick one.
24. Decorate with ombré glitter Champagne bottles.
25. Compile a list of historic events that happened on your anniversary.
26. Get an awesomely cool black heart manicure.
27. Make fun leather heart-shaped coin pouches for your friends.
28. Use common snacks to create Valentine’s Day Instagram gold.
29. Another Valentine’sDay idea: Give your sweetie printable ‘naughty’ vouchers. A little cliché, but hey, it’s February 14.
30. Make these chocolate-covered strawberries. If you’re gonna use hearts, might as well make ‘em out of chocolate and berries.
31. Toss x-and-0-shaped veggies into your dinner salad.
32. Experiment with neon pink lipstick.
33. Use scrap paper to create clever cards like this.
34. Create cute bookmarks for friends or colleagues using pink paint swatches. What’s that, they only use Kindles? Make them anyway!
35. Break out your old Jenga set. Use a pen or thin marker to write different love-themed instructions on the blocks.
36. Whip up a batch of pink cocktails on the only day of the year it’s acceptable to admit how much you love them.
37. Use some cheesy fruit-based puns, and write them on actual fruit.
38. Turn a deck of cards into a clever little book.
39. Buy some red food coloring and make these brownies.
40. If all else fails, there’s always the booze bouquet.